- After the USA Women lost to Japan on Sunday, I was pondering what could be written about the outcome of the game. I found it in an excellent piece by Mike Lopresti of USA Today. In his article entitled, "USA Finds Destiny Has A Dark Side," he points out destiny was just not on our side this time around. With all of the trials and tribulations faced by the Japanese people in the last year, he wrote, "Japan was probably the easiest decision Destiny had in months." He also reminds us how destiny visited upon the New Orleans Saints, lifting the city after Katrina. Other examples include the 1980 USA Olympic Hockey Team and the Boston Red Sox curse finally being lifted in 2004. He ended his piece with this reminder, "Destiny is an unbeaten brute, when in the other uniform."
- A reader of the Philadelphia Inquirer pointed out to other readers of the wisdom of our Founding Fathers. John Adams wrote: "There is nothing I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."
- A USA Today/Gallup Poll found half of those surveyed said Congress and Pres. Obama are doing a worse job than their predecessors in dealing with the country's current problems (Gee, does that imply George W. Bush was doing a better job?). In fact, just 7% of those surveyed said they feel both sides are negotiating in good faith.
- As much as I still think Republicans are very weak when they try to take on the Democrats, I have to give them some credit. While they've drawn up two budget proposals since January, the Democrats have proposed nada.
- How much lower can MSNBC go? How about this low. It's now being reported that the fake, phony and fraud, Al Sharpton, might get his own show on the network. Folks, we're looking at a world that does not make any sense anymore. Hold it! Perhaps I'm underestimating people. CNN did hire and almost immediately fired that scumbucket, Elliot Spitzer, former disgraced governor of NY State. So, as usual, the media fails to get it, but most Americans do. Maybe there is some hope left.
- I often wonder how many Americans know that Obamakare includes an entire host of additional taxes. The Wall Street Journal had an outstanding piece entitled, "Taxes Upon Taxes Upon..," that clearly shows the additional taxes coming because of ObamaKare. These include, but are not limited to, additional taxes on Medicare; payroll surcharges; 2.3% excise tax on medical device manufacturers and importers and in 2018, the bill will place an additional--hold your hats folks--40% excise tax on high-cost insurance plans. So when Republicans demand "no more taxes," they have a good argument.
- "Recession Is Over News"--Cisco Sytems says it will eliminate 6,500 jobs--that's 9% of their total work force. Also, Borders is shutting down affecting about 11,000 employees. City of San Francisco will lay off about 200 court employees. Presiding Judge Katherine Feinstein said, "The civil justice system in San Francisco is collapsing." And the Left made fun of Pres. Reagan's trickle-down economic philosophy. We're seeing evidence of it everyday.
- John Williams of the conservative American Legislative Exchange points out that states keeping taxes lower are creating more jobs.
- From The Onion today: "Nancy Grace Seen In Graveyard Sucking Bone Marrow From Calley Anthony's Bones."
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
USA Women's Soccer: Destiny Chooses Another Team; Founding Fathers Warned Us; MSNBC Sinks to New Low; ObamaKare: Taxes Upon Taxes...
There's a move to divide California into two states: The state of povery and the state of bankruptcy.--Leno
Posted by Jerry at 10:51 AM