- In my post yesterday, I satirically wrote the Oslo bomber was probably a right-wing Christian fundamentalist. Well, it appears he is an extreme Right-Wing nut (although the investigation is still on-going). Not known yet if he's a Christian or a fundamentalist. This will give the Left another reason to make the charge we should not blame Muslims for the 99.9% terrorist attacks in the last 4 decades. I agree. We should not blame Muslims. We should blame Muslim fanatic scumbags. Anyway, let's look at the numbers now. Counting Oklahoma City and Oslo that makes 2 attacks by extreme Right-Wing wack jobs (McVeigh was not a Christian. He renounced his Catholicism years earlier) vs. 17, 489 attacks by Islamic terrorists since 9/11 around the globe. It appears the extreme Right-Wing nut jobs have a lot of catching up to do (Source for Islamic Terrorism Rates: Religion of Peace and a Big Stack of Dead Bodies).
- Several times I've written about the scam of higher education with regard to tuition and the cost of books and other educational needs. Michael Barone of the NY Post agrees. In his piece today, "The Makings of a Higher-Ed Bubble," he points out the cost of higher education have risen much faster than inflation, must faster than personal incomes and much faster than the economy over the past 40 years. He also makes the point that you can't even get out of paying off college loans by going through bankruptcy. And where is that cost going? Not to faculty but to administration. In the California State System, between 1975 and 2008, faculty rose by 3%. During the same period, the number of administrators rose by 221%. In fact, there are now more administrators in that system than there are faculty members. He asks the question, "Is a degree in religious and women's studies worth $100,000 in student-loan debt? Probably not."
- So far there have been four major proposals to deal with the debt ceiling--3 by the Republicans and one by the Dems and Pres. Obama.
- CNN is reporting Pres. Obama appears to be losing liberal support in their latest poll. But he shouldn't fret. Among libs, his numbers are still at 71%. But Rasmussen is reporting the president's overall approval rating is down to 41%. Even Ron Paul is close on his heels at 37%.
- Regarding his negotiations with the Republicans, Pres. Obama remarked, "I've been left at the altar now a couple of times." Memo to Mr. President: Chief Executives don't talk like that. Makes you look like a victim, not a leader.
- Michael Goodwin wrote, "Everybody seems to have forgotten the greatest social program of all--is a job..."
- If you are a Boomer who is looking for an affordable place to retire, you should consider the following according to AARP: Portland, Maine; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Gainesville, Georgia; Wenatchee, Washington; and Winchester, Virginia.
Saturday, July 23, 2011
Oslo Attacks:Extreme Right Wing Attacks-2 vs.Islamic Terrorism-17,489; College + University Scams Redux; Pres. Obama: Be a Leader not a Victim; Is Pres. Obama Losing Liberals? Best Places to Retire
Tiger Woods' ex-wife is dating again. Where does a gorgeous woman with $500 million find a man?--Letterman
Posted by Jerry at 12:32 PM